Having the proper diet is essential for bodybuilding, and many bodybuilders like to eat nuts because of the high fat and protein levels. But are cashews or peanuts better for bodybuilding?
Cashews and peanuts are both excellent choices for bodybuilders. Peanuts are high in protein, which is essential for muscle growth. Peanuts contain more protein than cashews, as well as all standard nuts. Cashews are high in carbs, making them essential for energy and working out.
The rest of this article will discuss the difference between cashews and peanuts in greater detail. It will also discuss the pros and cons of each in terms of bodybuilding and other foods that are good for bodybuilders.
Difference Between Cashews and Peanuts
One of the most significant differences between cashews and peanuts is how they are classed, as peanuts are legumes, and cashews are nuts. Cashews have a softer, more buttery texture, whereas peanuts are crunchier.
Since peanuts have more protein, they’re favorable for bodybuilders.
Although peanuts contain a higher protein and fat content than cashews, cashews contain more carbohydrates. According to the US Department of Agriculture (USDA), a 100g portion of cashews contains 30g of carbs, whereas a 100g portion of peanuts contains only 16g of carbs.
Carbs are also vital for building muscle because they give you the energy to work out. So, you could choose to eat cashews and peanuts to get the best of both worlds.
Now, let’s look at the pros and cons of cashews and peanuts.
- High in carbs: Carbs are essential in a bodybuilder’s diet and everyone’s diet. Carbs convert to energy, which allows the body to function. Without enough carbs, you won’t have the energy to work out.
- Cashews have health benefits. Cashews are good for the heart and have been linked with reducing cholesterol and the chance of a stroke.
- Many cashews contain high levels of sodium, which isn’t good for the body in the long term.
- Cashews don’t have as much protein as peanuts, which is essential for muscle growth and repair.
- High in protein and vitamins: Not only are peanuts high in protein, but they’re also an excellent source of vitamins E, B3, and B9, to name a few.
- Peanuts contain healthy fats: When many people think of fats, they instantly think it’s bad. However, the fats found in peanuts are good, and these fats are essential for bodybuilding.
- Good source of fiber: Peanuts contain fiber, which is good for your digestive system. All bodybuilders should incorporate fiber into their diet.
- Allergies: Peanut allergies are common, often being dangerous and leading to hospitalization. If you’re near someone allergic to peanuts, you shouldn’t eat any.
- Contains some saturated fats: Although most of the fats in peanuts are good, there are also some saturated fats. Eating too many peanuts can increase your risk of heart problems.
- Don’t contain as many carbs as cashews. Peanuts contain significantly fewer carbs than cashews.
Are Cashews Good for Bodybuilding?
Cashews are good for bodybuilding because they contain high levels of carbohydrates and fats. They also have smaller amounts of protein, which is vital for muscle growth and repair. Incorporating cashews into your bodybuilding diet is always a good idea.
Cashews are particularly important if you’re bulking, and since they contain many carbs, they will give you the energy to train hard at the gym. However, you don’t need to eat a lot of cashews for them to have an effect.
You should eat them moderately and snack on them throughout the day. Or, throw some in a bowl of cereal or yogurt. These are examples of some of the ways to eat them in moderation.
Are Peanuts Good for Bodybuilding?
Peanuts are good for bodybuilding because they are high in protein and fats. They also contain carbohydrates, which will give you the energy you need to train. Peanuts also promote heart health, so they’re an excellent food to have in your diet.
Like cashews, peanuts only need to be eaten in moderation.
You can eat a few dry roasted peanuts as a snack or have some unprocessed peanut butter. Unprocessed peanut butter is pretty much the same as a regular dry roasted peanut, as the main difference is that it’s been ground into a paste.
There Are Other Good Nuts for Bodybuilding
Not only are cashews and peanuts good for bodybuilding, but other nuts are also an excellent choice. Other nuts good for building muscle include almonds and walnuts.
Almonds are an excellent source of protein, fat, and carbs, which are essential nutrients for building and maintaining muscle. So, you can undoubtedly add almonds to your bodybuilding diet.
In addition to almonds, walnuts are also great for bodybuilders. Although walnuts don’t have as much protein and carbs as almonds or other types of nuts, they’re still a good source of the required nutrients.
There Are Plenty of Excellent Foods for Bodybuilding
It’s good to incorporate cashews and/or peanuts into your diet, but they certainly won’t be enough. Some of the most important foods to include in your bodybuilding diet besides cashews and peanuts include:
- Meat: Poultry, meat, and fish are all great, healthy protein sources and other essential nutrients.
- Eggs: Eggs are a popular food choice for bodybuilders and gym-goers due to their high protein levels and amino acids. Eggs contain all nine essential amino acids.
- Grains: Grains, such as rice, cereals, or brown bread, are excellent sources of fiber, along with vegetables.
Cashews and peanuts are excellent foods for bodybuilding. While cashews contain high levels of carbs, peanuts contain high protein levels. If you’re looking for a lot of protein, you should go for peanuts, but if you want more carbs, you should go for cashews.
Some important things to remember:
- Peanuts are classed as legumes.
- Cashews are classed as nuts.
- Both are excellent foods for bodybuilding.
- You should eat them in moderation.
- Both contain monounsaturated fats.
- Other nuts, such as almonds and walnuts, are also suitable for bodybuilding.